Adbusters

Occupy Econ 101

Students stage walk-out on Harvard Prof.

When a science is dying, disciples begin to refuse initiation.

This is what happened last Wednesday in the class of Harvard economics professor Gregory Mankiw, with these simple opening words: “Today, we are walking out of your class.”

The rejection of Mankiw’s class is only a single event in the class of one professor, and yet this refusal may prove to be an event with a much wider significance. Mankiw's econ 101 textbook, Principles of Economics, has made it into the minds of almost every economics student in the modern world and if the students of Mankiw can revolt, then it is possible that students everywhere can begin the task of rethinking the dysfunctional old neoclassical paradigm.

In response to the walk-out, Mankiw has only doubled down his orthodoxy, claiming that the 1% have suffered more than the 99% as a result of the recession. Now is the time for a global walk-out. Download a poster of the True Cost Economics Manifesto at kickitover.org and pin it up in the corridor of your department. Let's start an all out meme war against our neoclassical profs and begin the daunting task of ushering in a new bionomic, psychonomic, ecological economics paradigm.

Now is a good time to begin an escalation and turn the whole world into a grand economics department … to occupy it.

Send pics of what's happening at your campus to [email protected]

for the wild,
Culture Jammers HQ

Update: Check out the video of students walking out of Professor N. Gregory Mankiw's Economics 10 class:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKS1jZxWLPM

Adbusters 111 Cover

On Newsstands December 3

At last we’re in Winter. It’s the year 2047. A worn scrapbook from the future arrives in your lap. It offers a stunning global vision, a warning to the next generations, a repository of practical wisdom, and an invaluable roadmap which you need to navigate the dark times, and the opportunities, which lie ahead.

Subscribe to Adbusters Magazine

212 comments on the article “Occupy Econ 101”

Displaying 181 - 190 of 212

Page 19 of 22

Anonymous

A) It's not your wealth, unless you earned it. And, yes, earning it can mean taking risks that may or not pay off. Some gamblers win, some of them lose. But, if you've never been in the game, then you never had a chance of winning. And, if you didn't play, you are not entitled to somebody else's winnings.

B) "...anti-decadence, immorality, greed, etc., etc." I have to ask: Have you actually met any of the people in this "movement"? Have you read any of the comments on this Web site?

Anonymous

A) It's not your wealth, unless you earned it. And, yes, earning it can mean taking risks that may or not pay off. Some gamblers win, some of them lose. But, if you've never been in the game, then you never had a chance of winning. And, if you didn't play, you are not entitled to somebody else's winnings.

B) "...anti-decadence, immorality, greed, etc., etc." I have to ask: Have you actually met any of the people in this "movement"? Have you read any of the comments on this Web site?

Anonymous

Only 20% of people are millionaires by inheritance. The other 80% worked hard, took risks, started their own companies and made their million dollars. The key problem OWS people have with this method is that it requires working and taking risks.

Anonymous

Only 20% of people are millionaires by inheritance. The other 80% worked hard, took risks, started their own companies and made their million dollars. The key problem OWS people have with this method is that it requires working and taking risks.

Anonymous

Good for those who earn their money. OWS people don't begrudge others for making a decent living. The problem is that we have a corrupt political system that has favored the rich on the backs of the poor. Please study your American history as well as most commonly held beliefs about the American Dream. Our founders strove to build a nation that offered equal opportunity for all. They also believed that every citizen has a duty to his neighbors and his country. We only succeed as a nation as we all succeed. The profiteers on Wall Street, the CEOs of wealthy corporations (that often make their money while destroying our environment), and the politicos who do their bidding feel no duty to their fellow citizens or to their country. They simply want to hoard as much cash as they can. In the bottom of their hearts they know that to live such a way is immoral and unjust, and that is why they react ridiculously, like you, when confronted with this fact: greed and selfishness are immoral characteristics. We should care for our fellow citizens no matter what hardships they have endured, help them get on their feet, and then watch our nation prosper. The alternative is to have a bunch of greedy individuals looking out only for their own -- and then we wind up in the crisis we now find ourselves. A little compassion can go a long way. Try it sometime. YOu may even feel good about yourself.

Anonymous

Good for those who earn their money. OWS people don't begrudge others for making a decent living. The problem is that we have a corrupt political system that has favored the rich on the backs of the poor. Please study your American history as well as most commonly held beliefs about the American Dream. Our founders strove to build a nation that offered equal opportunity for all. They also believed that every citizen has a duty to his neighbors and his country. We only succeed as a nation as we all succeed. The profiteers on Wall Street, the CEOs of wealthy corporations (that often make their money while destroying our environment), and the politicos who do their bidding feel no duty to their fellow citizens or to their country. They simply want to hoard as much cash as they can. In the bottom of their hearts they know that to live such a way is immoral and unjust, and that is why they react ridiculously, like you, when confronted with this fact: greed and selfishness are immoral characteristics. We should care for our fellow citizens no matter what hardships they have endured, help them get on their feet, and then watch our nation prosper. The alternative is to have a bunch of greedy individuals looking out only for their own -- and then we wind up in the crisis we now find ourselves. A little compassion can go a long way. Try it sometime. YOu may even feel good about yourself.

Anonymous

"Our founders strove to build a nation that offered equal opportunity for all."

Yeah, right, if you were white male landowner. The equality we see in American society today is the result of 250 years of struggle by people who were actually oppressed. None of whom, by the way, thought that anybody owed them anything, except an equal shot at being successful.

Equality of opportunity is not the same thing as equality of outcome. Some people win, some people lose.

It's too bad that the OWS losers have decided it's easier to steal from those who took risk and made an effort than to work for a living.

Anonymous

"Our founders strove to build a nation that offered equal opportunity for all."

Yeah, right, if you were white male landowner. The equality we see in American society today is the result of 250 years of struggle by people who were actually oppressed. None of whom, by the way, thought that anybody owed them anything, except an equal shot at being successful.

Equality of opportunity is not the same thing as equality of outcome. Some people win, some people lose.

It's too bad that the OWS losers have decided it's easier to steal from those who took risk and made an effort than to work for a living.

Pages

Add a new comment

Comments are closed.